Friday, November 26, 2010

SCAD - Atlanta Fall 2010

Had quite a bit of work to do this quarter at SCAD. The two classes that I had to put the most time into were my Storyboarding for Animation class and my Concept class for my short film that I have to do to graduate. There's quite a bit, but I'm only going to post a little from each class at a time, just to give a general idea of what all I produced this quarter.

These are some of the things I had to do for the story boarding class. Our first assignment was to take characters from a live action film (In this case The Princess Bride) and simplify them for animation in out own style. The characters I chose to do were Fezzik, Inigo Montoya, and Vizzini. I late did three more, Westly, Buttercup, and The Albino (to be posted later). It was a really fun assignment, but then again, I just generally enjoy creating characters. Especially when I can do them in my own style. I'll probably go back and give them all a splash of color later, but for right now, pencil will have to do.

(c) Caitlin "KK" Nixon 2010

Our second assignment was to choose a popular animation franchise and create two new characters (based on designated character types and in the franchise's style), then create storyboards where we introduce our characters to the franchise's characters. I chose to do the Powerpuff Girls and the character types that I got picked to do was a ghost and a ghost hunter. I knew I didn't want to do the typical Ghost Rider or Van Hellsing type of characters, so I decided to keep it simple by creating a ghost that was kind but was known as a practical jokester instead of being evil, and a ghost hunter that was based more on a witch doctor.

With the "Prankster" as he's called, I wanted to keep his design as simple as possible but keep a close similarity to the Powerpuff Girls themselves. I noticed that in the show that many of the characters that the girls became close to or really liked had a very similar look to the girls and I wanted to continue that in Prankster, so I gave him wide black eyes and rounded hands and feet.
(c) Caitlin "KK" Nixon 2010


(c) Caitlin "KK" Nixon 2010
Mother Teja is my witch doctor ghost hunter. I made her to be a rather rude and irritable old Jamaican woman who's technique is as unusual as she. The idea I had that helped me in creating her was an elderly woman who is known in the spiritual world for her unique means of exorcisms and things of the like. Where other psychics and spiritualist use magic words and conjurings, Mother Teja merely has to yell, and all ghost of any kind flee in fear.

(c) Caitlin "KK" Nixon 2010
(c) Caitlin "KK" Nixon 2010
The third assignment was of our own choosing. Again we had to create two characters but the whole story was of our own making. I chose to do two characters whose story I've already been working on for my own personal needs. The idea is an alternate world to our own where the younger generation rises up and takes control of all the powerful governments and runs it as they see fit. In doing so they've remedied  many of the problems that had existed, such as starvation and homelessness, but at the cost of enslaving and murdering any one who stands against them.

Celena, the leader is a "I say, you do" type with an iron fist and will. Although her success as a world leader is undeniable her main concern is putting an end to the resistance that threatens to over throw her and all she has done.

(c) Caitlin "KK" Nixon 2010

(c) Caitlin "KK" Nixon 2010

Her second in command, Layton, is truly the definition of a soldier. Anything Celena demands, he makes happen. Even so, he's not as concerned as Celena about the rebels. To him, they're just dirty illiterates who never have a chance of taking back the world.
(c) Caitlin "KK" Nixon 2010

(c) Caitlin "KK" Nixon 2010

Lastly, we had to make maquettes of our last two characters. I didn't get a chance to work on it as much as I would of liked, but I'm happy with it. 





Like I said, lots of work this quarter, and this doesn't even include all the storyboards I had to do. I may post those later as well, but that's  a lot of scanning @___@. Either way, hope you enjoy these. Don't forget, critiques are always welcomed and recommended. Next time, Concept class! Chay! 




  

No comments:

Post a Comment